Well the water sure is muddy!
We can all be guilty of allowing our digital presence to be ignored when there is work to do on the ground. If no one is paying you to do it then why on earth use that precious time up fiddling about in the unknown? We get it. But simply put it is not best practice.
Take a step back and evaluate… what happens when someone Googles your business name or stumbles across you? Are your digital assets saying what you ACTUALLY do? Or what you USED to do?
Grab a pen and paper, lets strip it back to the basics…
- Social Media Platforms – Is it better to have poor social than none? You tell me! What would you think if you were to enquire regarding someones costs to then find age-old pricing hidden in the depths of an old Twitter account? Update it or remove it. WHO still has access? You wouldn’t let someone who left your company have keys to your office!
- Google Business – is the address right? What about the opening hours? Is now the time to ask for some well deserved reviews?
- LinkedIN for Business & Personal – the same applies, are you still just the manager or are you now the CEO? Are you still colleagues with Cassandra? Have you shared a recent project? Or is the last one from 2012?
- Your Website – Nothing is worse than an unannounced guest at your home when your children have just made a mess. Imagine if you then allowed these guests through your drawers, cupboards and laundry basket… unannounced website traffic can arrive, and does, at any point. They have access to everything and anything which you have popped on the site for the public to see. Is that what you want? Consider your staff bios, services, pricing, opening hours, address. What about your blogs? Is there a redundant Brexit write up? Perhaps a covid safety list? Are these up to date and correct? More so, are they even relevant! Maybe a few minor tweaks is all that is required. Make the tweaks, its good for SEO too! Is now the time to make your site do more so you can do less?
- Photography/Videography – Are your visual assets up to spec? Do they show you in your current form? Are your products/services shown in their best light, sharp and not fuzzy, pixelated thumbnails.
- Branding – Is now the time for an Evolution? Is your branding dated or in need of a new face?
- Mission/Values/Vision statement(s) – Is it relevant? Are they still the fundamental basis you have built your company on? Is now the time for change?
- GDPR Policies – Do these need a tweak or two? Are you still compliant?
- Terms & Conditions – We know these need adding to, every time a mishap occurs or changes. When was the last time you really looked at yours?
It’s a minefield. We know. We are in the process ourselves, literally as I type. But remember this fabulous quote from one of our dear clients (who probably/possibly borrowed it from Desmond Tutu) ‘How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time”.*
If you don’t want to attempt this in house, that’s ok, neither do 70% of our clients… we have just the service you require.
*Please DO NOT attempt to eat any elephants.
Frances Clifford – STRATEGY & MARKETING DIRECTOR